Thursday 10 May 2018

Bank Holiday Meltdown, Ejaculating Carp and Somersaulting Ducks


Monday 7th May 2018

Friezland Pools, Bosworth Water Park, Leicestershire

Temperature – 27 degrees

My latest adventures on the bankside saw me heading over to the fishery where it all began for me three years ago, following a quick chat at work between Luke and myself when we decided to head over to Friezland Pools on Bank Holiday Monday.  For years I had no interest in fishing and often berated Luke and Damian for participating in what I then considered a barbaric sport, but look at me now.  I am a piscatorial monster and I lay the blame squarely at the feet of Luke Smith.

With the promise of fine weather I figured that I would be better off heading over to the fishery for when it opened, but as usual I dillied and dallied at home and it was about 07:30 when I set off on the 30 mile trip from Birmingham and headed up the M42.  The drive was uneventful and I had planned on leaving the venue and driving straight to my hotel that had been booked for me at Sedgefield, Co. Durham, for the night so I could get an early start on a job at Bishop Auckland on Tuesday.  It was then that I realised that as usual I had forgotten something at home and this time it was my Citolopram anxiety medication.  I considered turning around but I’d missed a few days anyway so another one wouldn’t make much difference.  I know that the medication is to help me, I know that I should take it and I know it’s something I should remember to do every day but some days I just forget.

By the time I arrived at 08.45, there was one peg next to Luke left and the place was heaving with anglers.  They have four pools at the venue, one has only ever been used for match fishing whenever I’d been there, one is for night fishing only and the other two, the Main Pool and Pam’s Pool are for day ticket fishing, but today it seemed that all of them were in use.  I parked up and got my seat box onto the peg so no-one could steal it from under my nose and began to set up.  Luke told me the fish were spawning and the margins were full of randy Carp, both Mirror’s and Common’s, so that kind of determined that today was going to be a loaded waggler sort of day and so I set up my 12’ Maver Match rod with my trusty Daiwa Harrier reel, the float was a 6” loaded crystal insert waggler.  I’d bought a set of pole rollers and a really good selection of pole rigs (14 rigs for £12) on amazon recently and was hoping to use those but the circumstances dictated otherwise.

Luke's peg (left) and mine (centre)
The Carp were busy splashing around in the reeds or feeding on the surface so I guessed fishing the bottom might not get me too many bites so after plumbing the depth I set up so I would be a few inches off dead depth.  The plan was to keep the fish interested in the swim with small but regular feeding of three or four maggots every minute or so, nothing too much, just enough to keep them there and also give them a chance to deed with confidence.  I then fixed a SSG shot to the hook and cast out about five or six metres in front and to the left and got the depth there sorted.  I now had my guides for the areas I was going to target and was ready to start fishing.  It was now that it struck me just how much I’d improved since my first time and that all the magazine articles I’ve been reading have sunk in.  When I first started I never knew about plumbing the depth of the water, what signs to look for in a swim or which tactics I was going to adopt, so I kind of surprised myself.

The first few hours were very quiet with the odd nudge of the float or line bite but I wasn’t alone as no-one around me seemed to be getting anywhere but there was the odd fish caught and I landed a few Commons and Mirrors weighing around 1 1/2lbs or so and a couple of young Commons that sat comfortably in the palm of my hand, youngsters from early in the year I’m guessing.  There were a few times when I’d lost the fish right on the edge of the landing net but I wasn’t upset or frustrated by it, I was just glad to be fishing and enjoying the company of Luke and his lad Rhys.  We sat on the bankside just chilling out, discussing the issues at work and just relaxing.

Luke had started off with his feeder rod and had his second rod set up with his control float rig for surface fishing with breadflake.  Throughout the day there had been a flurry of activity with a raft of Mallard ducks over by the island and one poor female becoming the focus of attention of about five or six randy males who seemed hell bent on mating with her.  The female was having none of it and was very vocal in her protestations at this unwelcome attention and kept trying to make her escape but they just did not seem to understand she wasn’t interested and pursued her around the pool.  By now Luke had switched to the control float and was about to provide the first comedy moment of the day.  The female had decided that enough was enough and made good her escape via the peg next to Luke’s, and she went with a real attitude as well as she waddled up the bank and looking over her shoulder.  It looked like she was really pee’d off and in a right mardy mood.  Anyway, this now meant Luke had four or five males right in front of him, just where he was casting.  One of these males decided that he’d grab some of the bread on offer and after scoffing the nearest bit of bread he was off.  However, he’d taken Luke’s bait and he took off, presumably after the hook dug in, and began to fly away from Luke.  The line ran out and the duck had reached about eight or nine feet from the water when his head jerked back and his backside overtook it as he somersaulted from the sky and hit the water like a Japanese kamikaze pilot that had missed his target.


I sat there giggling like a lunatic as Luke tried several times to reel his catch in but the duck would come so far and then flap furiously and get away or would tangle itself up in the line and panic a little more.  Throughout it all there was a calmness coming from Luke’s peg but on the odd occasion there was a swear word or two that passed his lips.  Eventually he managed to get the duck on the bankside and had to sit with the body clamped between his legs and both hands around the neck as Rhys unhooked and untangled the beast.  Of course a proper mate would have rushed over to assist but I was too busy laughing and it looked like he had everything under control.  Luke then washed the ducks bill and held onto the bird until he was satisfied there was no lasting damage done and then helped it on its way skywards with a gentle toss into the air.  Funnily enough we didn’t see any other ducks come near us after this little episode.

Typical shot patterns
By now the sun was getting really hot and the big lake on the water park which is across the road was getting busy.  The noise suggested there were quite a few making the most of the fine weather and cars were being parked up around the entrance to the fishing pools as the crowds arrived to enjoy the Bank Holiday sunshine.  The fishing seemed to have died off a little, something I have noticed about this fishery in the past though so I wasn’t too surprised.  Things quieten down for a few hours but then suddenly pick up again when the fish begin feeding again and it was during this lull in the activity that I decided to enter the dark and murky world of shotting patterns and see if minor adjustments would improve the presentation.  I moved the little Preston Innovations No.8 Shotz around the line to different configurations that I had been reading about in the magazines too see which worked best and I was astounded when I started to pick up bites.  I have considered shotting to be something of a dark art, but a few tweaks really can make a difference.

The sun was getting so hot that we began to start taking regular breaks in the shade by Luke’s car and knocking the fluids back to keep us rehydrated and poor Rhys looked to be wilting in the sun.  We made sure he was regularly applying suncream, as we all were, but it did get uncomfortable around lunchtime and any breeze was welcome.  Around mid-afternoon I decided it was time to hit the margins, which I had been feeding regularly throughout the day with a few maggots every so often.  It was like the fish were lining up to be caught and I was pulling out some nice Carp.  I mentioned to Luke that I’d had no Roach or Perch which was unusual for the fishery and he said he’d had none either and we decided that they must be hiding away from the spawning Carp who had been splashing around in the reeds all day.

It was around this time that I had an experience that I never want to go through again.  I had a decent Common in my landing net and bought the net to my lap so I could unhook it.  I held the fish firmly with my left hand as I used the disgorger with the right.  I was aware of something running down my leg but just assumed it was lake water, so imagine my surprise when I looked down to see the milky whiteness of the Carp’s passion porridge running down my leg.  I now had some idea of what those naughty girls from my area went through after they had been diddled in the local brook after the Thursday night disco at the Hurst Road Community Centre.  I felt slightly sick, but then a feeling of guilt washed over me when I thought that this poor fish might only get one chance to deposit his stuff and because of me he would have to wait another year.  I quickly cleaned myself up and released the fish back into the lake and decided to keep quiet about it, but then a voice from the peg next to me on my left said “The dirty b*****d has dumped his load all over me” and so I didn’t feel quite so violated.

Right then it’s time to head off now and prepare for the joys that tomorrow will bring, but before I do I would like to ask that people leave a comment or two below.  I’d like to know what everyone thinks of these ramblings but sometimes I feel like I’m the only one reading them….

See you on the bankside…..

No comments:

Post a Comment