Friday 4 May 2018

Match Fishing Is Scary !!!!


Saturday 14th April 2018

Alvechurch Fisheries, Bittel Lane, Alvechurch

Weather – Warm(ish)

I started this post a few weeks ago but work and other things have got in the way a little so now I’m trying to catch up a bit.  I’ve been thinking of entering an open match at one of the many fisheries dotted around Birmingham but after what I saw when I went down to Alvechurch Fisheries a few weeks ago (14th April) to watch a friend of mine who had entered one I’ve had second thoughts.  You need ALL of the gear to compete with some of the blokes who regularly enter these contests, all bedecked in their sponsored kit.  One bloke was like a walking advertisement for Guru and he had everything, the works, everything was black and orange, from his hat right down to his hook-length boxes.  I don’t think there wasn’t anything not stamped with the Guru logo, and he was not the only one.  Everywhere you looked there was an angler wearing the colours of some well-known tackle manufacturer and this got me thinking about how fishing has changed from what I remember when my Dad used to fish in contests.

Back in the 1970’s when the old man was a member of the Barleycorn Angling Club, he would set off early doors on a Sunday to get the coach and all he would have with him was his trusty old wicker creel, his rod bag with his float rod and what he called a “quiver tip”. I’m guessing he would mean feeder rod now but this thing was just the top section of a rod which fitted onto his normal float rod.  He didn’t have some carbon fibre pole that cost thousands, he didn’t have a huge selection of baits, just 2 pints of bronze maggots in his green plastic container, a bag of groundbait and his little mixing bowl and that was it.  No flavourings or anything that people have today, just the basics.

Back then the older members would chip up on the bankside with a shirt and tie on but the old man had his fishing clothes, a thick chunky Arran sweater, old work trousers, Wellington boots and thick woollen fisherman’s socks rolled over his boots.  I’m pretty sure he had a coat of some sort but I can’t remember seeing one.  He’d then bowl off up the road with his no name rod holdall, and wicker creel slung over his shoulder with his sandwiches and tartan flask full of tea and meet his mate for a lift to the pub car park before they boarded the coach that would take them to whichever stretch of river they were fishing that day.  Sometimes it would be the Severn at Hampton Loade, the Avon at Stratford or Tewkesbury, the Anker at Tamworth or one of the many other waters that were held by the Birmingham Anglers Association, but I don’t remember him ever fishing a stillwater venue.

One thing that does stick in my mind is the night before a contest though.  He always got his maggots and tackle from Allmarks Sports on Waterloo Road, Smethwick and he had a green “EFGEECO” bait tub with a white lid.  Strange that I remember that name after all these years.  If he bought a new float he would fill the bath with water after tea and work out his shotting patterns beforehand.  To me it was, and still is, a dark art, and I had no idea what he was supposed to be doing, but he would take some off, put some on and move the shot up and down until he got the float where he wanted it and he was happy.  Now when I go to Angling Direct in Halesowen or Fisherman’s Friend in Smethwick, I can pick up a pole rig pre-shotted and ready to go or I can just take out a loaded waggler and add whatever little Shotz I need for the presentation.  There seems to be something of an art to river fishing though and maybe the commercial lakes and fisheries have made anglers a little bit more lazy.

Anyway, this match fishing malarkey is not for me and I think it will be a long time before I think about entering one but saying that I am due to fish in a two headed match for my mate Dawn Shuttlewood’s scratch team against some war veterans from the Derby area who she is connected with.  Dawn goes along and gives these blokes a hand with the landing of fish or whatever they need any help with.  I’ve been told that these blokes are good anglers and we’re really up against it, but it’s for a good cause and we’re sure to have some banter with them.  Dawn has organised it for a friend of hers who is living out his days in a hospice and he is hoping to come down and watch the fishing.  I hope he can.

This opens up a new can of worms for me to rant about now regarding the sponsorship of anglers on the match circuit.  Maybe if the tackle manufacturers were to donate equipment to groups like the Derby veterans or a hospice so anglers who unfortunately need the hospice could enjoy a day’s fishing.  I know how fishing has helped me with my depression and how it allows me to sit on the bankside and just let life wash over me, allows me to forget all those little niggling issues that life throws at me and lets me find some peace and solace within myself.  I don’t worry about the mundane, everyday issues of work or life in general and maybe it would bring a little peace to someone who is coming to terms with a terminal illness or has disabilities, both mental and physical, from serving their country.

Come on tackle manufacturers, get involved…..

Right I’ve had my rant….See you on the bankside

No comments:

Post a Comment